After
setting the model aside for 24hrs for the paint to fully cure I started the weathering process by first applying a selective pin wash with oil paints.
Utilising the excellent Abteilung 502 series I employed several umber
and dark brown tones first, adding slightly darker colours lower down on
the bodywork. The same mix of oil paint tones was also employed to add
light vertical streaking to the cab areas. The engine bay was then
treated to the same oil work and some enamel dust effects.
Up
until now handling the model had been relatively easy, but things were
going to get tricky as I no longer had any unpainted surfaces to hold
onto! Unlike a fully tracked vehicle with a turret where you can employ
magnetic holding devices, or use the old fashioned method of inserting a
nut and bolt through the hull, these semi tracked vehicles are
notoriously difficult to handle once they are nearing completion. I now
relied on my small Tamiya turntable to avoid touching the surface.
Enamels, pigments, and oil paints were all used to weather the running gear. The outer road wheels were deliberately left off to make this process easier. Once happy with progress the outer wheels were then fixed in place.
Enamels, pigments, and oil paints were all used to weather the running gear. The outer road wheels were deliberately left off to make this process easier. Once happy with progress the outer wheels were then fixed in place.
I wasn't impressed with how the kit's vinyl tyres were looking (seen in the pic above) so I replaced them with a Quickwheels resin set. These come in two parts; the tyres and rim, and the hub and spokes. I had to slightly rework the axle hub attachment points to make them better fit, but the effort was well worth it.
Once weathered and added they were a
big improvement. (compare the image below with the kit vinyl items above)
At this point I realised I had completely forgotten to add the licence plate decals! A step I regularly add straight after the base coat. This was remedied with an aftermarket individual letter/number set which will make things easier to match with a trailer. I then added the painted and weathered radiator armour and cab roof hatches.
After looking at several images of the cargo bed platform and how the flak gun mounts to the deck, I realised the kit has omitted to include the ratchet handles on the platform legs. These allow the gun to be raised and lowered. I found suitable looking replacements from the parts bin and added them. The rear crew seat was added folded up and the platform sides were fixed in place. I knew this would be tricky after painting the components first, so I made sure all paint was removed from the connection points to allow good adhesion. One platform side panel was mounted for transit and the other positioned folded down. As one of the steps on the rear panel was built unfolded that was also positioned for action.
The front fender visual driving markers and cab door mirror are still to be attached, and to avoid damage these will be attached right at the end of the project. More work with oils and a layers of dust effects are still to be added to lower areas of the body and running gear. The flak platform will also need additional work to blend in the ammo boxes and crew paraphernalia, and I have yet to add delicate items like chains to the platform side hooks, the front and rear towing points, and the rear locker doors.
At this point I realised I had completely forgotten to add the licence plate decals! A step I regularly add straight after the base coat. This was remedied with an aftermarket individual letter/number set which will make things easier to match with a trailer. I then added the painted and weathered radiator armour and cab roof hatches.
After looking at several images of the cargo bed platform and how the flak gun mounts to the deck, I realised the kit has omitted to include the ratchet handles on the platform legs. These allow the gun to be raised and lowered. I found suitable looking replacements from the parts bin and added them. The rear crew seat was added folded up and the platform sides were fixed in place. I knew this would be tricky after painting the components first, so I made sure all paint was removed from the connection points to allow good adhesion. One platform side panel was mounted for transit and the other positioned folded down. As one of the steps on the rear panel was built unfolded that was also positioned for action.
The front fender visual driving markers and cab door mirror are still to be attached, and to avoid damage these will be attached right at the end of the project. More work with oils and a layers of dust effects are still to be added to lower areas of the body and running gear. The flak platform will also need additional work to blend in the ammo boxes and crew paraphernalia, and I have yet to add delicate items like chains to the platform side hooks, the front and rear towing points, and the rear locker doors.








No comments:
Post a Comment