Monday 30 September 2024

Schwerer Wehrmachtschlepper (sWS) armoured cargo version (constructing a base part 2)

Before I could add the AK Asphalt texture paste to the raised road section the piece required framing. I had purchased some Oak veneer but test fitting it exposed an issue with the cut of the Styrofoam on one of the sides. I had used a foam cutter, and I had started from what I figured was a nice straight edge. Unfortunately, I didn't spot a couple of wavy undulations in it and adding the veneer would only expose the flaw. So, to plan B and I had just enough Basswood left from a previous project.  These are 1.6mm thick. I marked, cut and added four nice straight side pieces instead. I cut them a tad long so I could sand them square...or as sqaure as I managed to cut the Styrofoam!

 

Once they had cured to the styrofoam with the aid of UHU Por glue, and each other, with wood glue, AK dark mud mixed with tea leaves and scatter was added into any small gaps that were left and blended into the existing terrain.

 



 

Soldiering on with the base, the corners of the basswood framing were then sanded nice and square ready for some matt black paint. AK Asphalt texture paste was thinly layered onto the small road section. The cracks appeared all on their own, which was nice 😊

A much-needed splash of colour was then added onto the raised embankment, care off static grass and MK35 wild grass. I’m not a fan of the shiny grass colours out of the bag so these were airbrushed in different mixes of Tamiya Flat Green and Yellow Green. 

 











I’m currently working on a small fence section utilising both cocktail sticks for the stakes and some broken and discarded Proton foam wire. A telegraph pole is also getting assembled to give the scene some height

I’m still in two minds about adding a small tree. It wasn’t in the original plan, and it might obscure the vehicle too much, but I’m willing to have a play around to see if it will add or distract from the overall look.


No comments: